Thursday, December 15, 2011

Illinois vs. The Runnin' Tarks

Tomorrow, 4pm at the United Center

You only have a precious few days before Hanukah, Christmas, or Kwanza to buy a great gift for that special someone in your life.  Let me give you a few ideas for some last minute shopping...Illini style.

I recieved an Illini glassware set during my first Christmas ever at the Haberkorn household (great Illini family).  "What an unbelievable gift," I exclaimed.  "Give me 6 beers, I need to test these glasses out."

A full size Paint the Hall Orange picture has to be the number one consideration for any Illini fan who doesn't have one.  When friends come over, they can't believe how many people are wearing orange in the picture.  They often ask if the picture has been painted or altered.  Nope, all natural baby.


Paint The Hall Orange December 1, 2004 (Center Shot)The image to the left is the Paint the Hall Orange picture from the 2004-05 season, when the Illini hammered Chris Paul and #1 Wake Forest.  My Paint the Hall picture is from the inaugural event in 2001 vs. Michigan State.  I still remember shaming Roubi and Dimitry into wearing an Orange t-shirt to the game.  Check out www.LaPayne.com to order your PTHO picture.  (Disclaimer: the IGP receives no kickbacks for these great gifts)



In 2006, my mom and dad bought me a bronze Chief Illiniwek statue for my birthday.  I received a 1 line email from my mom when it arrived at her house.  "The chief is here.  He's big."  He measures 2 feet tall, weighs about 25 pounds, and holds a position of prominence in the Nett Househ



A year ago today, the Nett household was a household of one.  Now I am married to a beautiful woman who I met as an undergrad at Illinois (of course).  Melinda is a huge Illini fan (what did you expect?).  We were married two months ago yesterday (Happy Anniversary, Honey), and my wife surprised me with a gigantic ice statue of the Chief on the day of our wedding.  How many of you can say that the Chief was a witness at your wedding?  Interested in having an ice sculpture of the Chief at a special event? Shoot me an email and I'll get you some contact information.

Melinda's brother Lou is a Black Hawk Pilot in the Army stationed in Japan (what up Lou?).  Lou and his wife Caroline are extremely creative gift givers.  They outdid themselves with the wedding present at right.  It's a beautifully painted picture of Chief Illiniwek that I am currently lobbying for placement above the fireplace.

 What's the greatest Illini gift you've received?  Send it my way, because I am always looking for ideas.  Looking for a last minute gift?  I have two extra tickets to Saturday's game at the UC.  Email me if you are interested.  Apologies that the comments section of the IGP is not working.

National Champions?


The Illini basketball team is undefeated, but I am not drinking the Final Four cool aid just yet.  It's the women's volleyball team that we need to be cheering for this Saturday against UCLA.  They topped the  USC Lady Trojans in the Final Four last night and take on UCLA for the National Championship (ESPN2, 8:30pm on Saturday).  After you watch the Illini men top UNLV at the United Center (BTN, 4pm), make sure to tune in for the volleyball match.

The Rebs

For those of you headed to the United Center, it is a rematch of last year's 8 vs. 9 first round tournament game that featured the Illini shooting lights out from 3-point land en route to an 11 point win.  The Rebs are without our favorite unibrowed coach, Lon Krueger.  Still, we'll need the same shooting tomorrow to turn around a run of bad games at the UC.

UNLV is equally as streaky as the Illini have been this year.  They defeated #1 UNC Thanksgiving weekend, but then lost to Witchita State a week later.  Both teams are looking for consistency as we get closer to conference play.

In the front court, Chace Stanbeck and Mike Moser are the Reb's top scorers.  Both measure in at 6'8", so we'll have to keep them off the boards.  The veterans need to play well for the Illini who have lost two straight at the United Center.  Expect Brandon Paul and DJ Richardson to lead the way.

Illinois - 69
Runnin' Tarks - 64

Sincerely,
Two Tickets to Saturday's Game









No comments: