Monday, March 16, 2009

IGP Tournament Preview

Part I


Do you remember the 2005 Illinois vs. Arizona Elite 8 game? Do you remember the frustration you felt when the Illini were down 12 with 6 minutes left? Or the terror in your gut when the deficit increased to 15 with only 4 minutes on the clock? How were we going to come back? Was it even possible? Then a ray of hope; we cut it to 7 - a minute 20 remaining. Was it possible? Then, in the blink of an eye, a Deron Williams 3 pointer sends the game to overtime - goosebumps. In overtime Luther Head hits a breakaway lay-up to go ahead, the comeback is complete. MAYHEM.

I watched the 2005 Illini-Zona game on the Big10 Network last night (thanks AC). I still got scared when we were down late, and I still cheered after every bucket. But I also realized that this game represents everything that is great about the NCAA Tournament.

March Madness is here.


The Big Ten Tournament

Complements to Indianapolis, Conseco Field House, and the Big Ten Tournament last weekend. I headed out there for a bachelor party, and we watched the 7 different games. Before getting to the meat and potatoes of the IGP Tourney Edition, I'd like to share some of my observations.
  • MSU Head Coach Tom Izzo doesn't make any substitutions. While Izzo is coaching the game on the floor, his assistants actually make all the subs.

  • It's easy to sit in the front row at the Big10 or NCAA Tournament. On Saturday, after MSU lost to OSU, Ryback and I walked down from the nosebleeds and scored front row seats (some of you saw us on TV). After MSU lost, we stood outside the fan section and as fans left we asked, "Are you sticking around for the 2nd game? Can I have your ticket stub?" The 5th person I talked to handed over 2 golden ticket stubs.

  • Goran Sutan's parents are tall. After Illinois fell behind 10, I glanced at the guy sitting 2 seats to my left. He shrugged his shoulders as if to say, "It's going to be a long game son." Then his wife said in a thick Eastern European accent, "Vy don't ze just pound de bowl inside?" "I must be sitting next to Goran Sutan's parents," I thought. Sure enough, when they got up to leave at half time, mom was 5'10" and dad was about 6'5" and wearing a pin with Goran's picture. They gave us their ticket stubs before they left.

  • PSU got robbed. They finished tied with Wisky and ahead of Minnesota and Michigan, yet didn't make the tournament. You can bet that they will be scheduleing a tougher pre-conference schedule next year.

The Big Show

The brackets are due before tip-off tomorrow. So here are a few tips to guide you through the field of 64.

Illinois - We drew the Western Kentucky Hilltoppers in round 1. Ding Ding. Let's go. The Hilltoppers started the season 7-5 and finished 24-8. At 14-3 in their last 17 games, they are hot. They even knocked off #1 seed Louisville back in November. Four players score in double figures for the Hilltoppers, but their front line is undersized. Their top rebounder is 6'5" and their center is 6'9", 190lbs.

Illinois - 67

Hilltoppers - 58

All the bracketologists, upsetologists, and even proctologists are picking the Hilltoppers in an upset. If you are thinking about listening to these "experts", I want you to listen to me first. Illinois will not lose. Next, listen to the best odds maker in the world - Vegas. Illinois is favored by 5 points in this contest. Follow your heart.

Who's Hot - Take a look at which teams ended the season hot (except the Hilltoppers) - ride them a few games. Purdue (Final Four), Syracuse (Elite 8), USC (upset BC), and Memphis (Elite 8) all finished the season strong. I was extremely impressed watching Purdue roll through the Big Ten Tournament. With Robbie Hummel healthy, Purdue is looking like the team everyone expected at the start of the year. JaJuan Johnson is impressively athletic down low; Chris Kramer can defend and threw down a nasty dunk in the first half vs. PSU; and Lewis Jackson is a speedy point guard who can drive and dish. I have Purdue in my Final Four.

Top Dawgs with Experience - Davidson should have been entered into the NCAAs just so we could see Stephon Curry again. Who will be this year's Curry? Syracuse Sophomore Eric Devendorf is a thug (suspended earlier for domestic violence), but he is a gunner in the form of Jerry McNamara. You saw him almost close out UConn in overtime number...I don't know, there were so many. Scottie Reynolds from Villanova is another guy who can score. He put up 22 ppg in wins against Notre Dame, Providence, and Marquette during the Big East tournament (he went on to score 2 points in the final - yikes). Speaking of Marquette, Chicago product Jerel McNeal averaged 19.7 ppg in the Big East. Dude can play.

Fat Point Guards - Fat point guards tend to do very well in the NCAA tournament. Khalid El-Amin and Mateen Cleeves both won National Championships while carrying a little extra baby fat. This year, Levance Fields is your chubby point guard of choice. Averaging 7.6 assists a game, Fields is like a truck barreling into the lane. I have Pitt in the National Championship.

I hate the Midwest Bracket - To me, Louisville is overrated as the overall number 1. They only lost 5 games this year, but 1 of them was to the Hilltoppers and another was a 33 point a$$ whupping by a miserable Notre Dame team. They had some close games this year, and I think they are ripe for an upset. The only problem is that I hate every other team in their bracket. MSU didn't impress me last weekend, and I absolutely hate Kansas. Could Wake do it? Probably not. Maybe WVU, but they have to get by Dayton. This bracket is a tough one to call. I got nothing.

There you have it. I am so ready for tomorrow!


Sincerely,

Cinderella


PS...Got any upset specials? Post them in the comments section.

2 comments:

aaron said...

For the record, the tourney game was 2005.

Also, dont forget that not only were we down 15 with 4 to go, but we were also down 8 with 1:03 left.

But all it takes is a Dee steal and layup and a big deron three to get us even.

I also noticed how much better we looked than this year. Not just the shooting, but the cohesiveness, the passing, the speed. I think Brandon Paul and jereme richmond will lead us back to this stage.

Netter said...

Whoa. 2005. What was I thinking.